This is a non-supervisory position that performs at an experienced work level that involves the maintenance and repair of boiler and ancillary equipment throughout the manufacturing and office facilities. The incumbent conducts tests on the water for the maintenance of the necessary equipment and is responsible for keeping the boiler mechanic supervisor updated.
Essential skills and experience:
- Performs journeyman level work associated with the maintenance, operation and repair of stationary steam boilers, gas and oil burning equipment, flow meters, draft controls, turbine blowers, water softeners, brining equipment, and ancillary equipment located throughout the manufacturing and office facilities.
- Inspects boilers in accordance with established schedules; repairs boiler fittings including safety valves, regulators, automatic control mechanisms and water columns; inspects and repairs ancillary equipment including pumps, draft fans, stokers, and burners.
- Inspects the steam distribution system and makes minor repairs to the pipes in the steam tunnels.
- Assists in the operation and maintenance of NFPC's water wells; conducts tests on the water and add the necessary chemicals as required.
- Tests boiler water and adds chemicals to maintain boiler water treatment; tests cooling tower water and adds chemicals to cooling tower systems to ensure safety, chemically heating, and cooling loops.
- Repairs chemical pumps and feed lines as needed.
- Blows down boilers to regulate the chlorides in the boilers.
- Fixes timers to regulate chemical feeds.
- Adds borax-nitrite blend to heating and cooling loops. Tests to see if it has 500 to 1000 p.p.m.
- Adds algicide to cooling towers to prevent algae and corrosion, also adds biocide to prevent scaling of tubes. Adds acrylate polymer blend to help prevent solids from forming on tubes.
- Performs daily checks and walkthroughs on boilers, Ammonia cold storage and vinegar manufacturing chilled water systems and records operating conditions of each system.
- Performs regular maintenance on chemical pumps and lines.
- Rewires motors and timers when needed.
- Replaces tanks and lines when needed.
- Performs routine arc welding.
- Performs PM and repairs anywhere in the facility as needed
- Learns and has ability to operate waste spray field as needed.
- Performs similar or related duties as assigned or required.
- Job description can be changed at any time.
Education and Experience:
- Reading, writing, numeracy, oral communication, problem solving.
- Good driving record and be willing to travel within the surrounding areas to maintain, repair, and start up various industrial equipment and systems. Some overtime hours and on call duty is required.
- High School Graduate / GED
- Four (4) years of experience related to the above described duties.
- Licensure: Incumbent must have a valid Driver’s License.
- Support SQF requirements by maintaining food safety plan and food quality through completing job tasks and maintaining the work area in a sanitary manner to ensure compliance with FDA, USDA, and Kosher product requirements.
- Report food safety problems to personnel with authority to initiate action and or Food Defense issues to the Food Safety and Quality Department.
Reporting to this position:
Physical demands and work environment:
- Safety is vitally important not only at our facility but also from a personal standpoint. Employees are responsible for understanding and following all safety procedures. Likewise, food safety is a key performance indicator. Understanding this, GMP and housekeeping procedures are to be followed as part of any job at our facility.
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop; talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environment requires mandatory use of ear plugs.